We’re spotlighting the students and faculty at the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences who are making the world ever better.
If you have a suggestion of a person who would make a great spotlight you can recommend a spotlight by emailing Anna Alden at email@example.com.
Women in Engineering Series
Niaz Abdolrahim, Mechanical Engineering
Abdolrahim wanted to be an engineer since she was in high school. She was drawn to the idea of solving problems using math, and of designing new systems and engineering concepts.
Amy Lerner, Biomedical Engineering
Lerner began her career designing functional clothing for people with disabilities and parts of space suits for ILC Dover (supplying NASA) before turning to biomedical engineering.
Jennifer Hunter, Ophthalmology, Biomedical Engineering, Optics
Hunter has turned her interests in physics and visual science into a career studying retinal imaging, the process of taking digital images of the back of a person’s eye.
Jannick Rolland, Optics
Rolland discovered her passion for technical design while watching a theatre production at age 16. Today, she is a leading expert in freeform optics and cofounder of the startup LighTopTech.
Jessica Shang, Mechanical Engineering
Shang’s childhood interests in tools, tinkering, and math and science have led her to a career in academia studying the fluid mechanics of biological phenomena.
Grand Challenges Scholars
University of Rochester students are seeking recognition as Grand Challenges Scholars by the National Academy of Engineering. The program asks students from any discipline to tackle some of the most pressing issues facing society. Check out our Q-and-A’s with the Grand Challenges Scholars.
2020 Grand Challenges Scholars:
- Marah Abdin, electrical and computer engineering
- Sara Anis, biomedical engineering
- Dewey Bazirake, business analytics
- Ananya Goyal, biomedical engineering
- Clara Martinez Rubio, electrical and computer engineering and computer science
- Mark Westman, mechanical engineering
2019 Grand Challenges Scholars:
- Beatriz Gonzalez, political science and economics
- Emma Luke, biomedical engineering
- Muhammad Miqdad, chemical engineering
- Nicole Naselaris, optical engineering
- Jing Tian Ngiaw, education and musical arts
- Haley Wohlever, mechanical engineering
- Michael Woodbury, neuroscience
2018 Grand Challenges Scholars:
- Raymond Chin, biomedical engineering
- Alexandra Frederickson, biological sciences (molecular genetics track)
- Kalila Shapiro, digital media studies
- Fernando Suarez, mechanical engineering
Student Internship Experiences
Class of 2020:
- Sara Apanavicius, chemical engineering
- Shagun Bose, computer science and psychology
- Demetrious Dowdell, optical engineering
- Yan Li, computer science
- Joyceline Marealle, chemical engineering
- Tinashe Marera, electrical and computer engineering
- Jillian Penfield, computer science
- Caroline Stockwell, biomedical engineering
- Eric Weidman, chemical engineering
The Xerox Engineering Research Fellows Program provides engineering undergraduates with an opportunity to participate in a research experience in the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences during the summer. Check out the 2018 Xerox Fellows:
- Perla Aguilar is a mechanical engineering major who worked on analyzing satellite data taken from various organizations like NASA and the European Space Agency to study oceanic heat transport for her Xerox Fellowship Project.
- Amro Bayoumy is a mechanical engineering major whose XEROX Engineering Research Fellowship project focused on improving wind farm efficiency.
- Zachary Byron, an electrical and computer engineering major, taught robots to understand voice commands as part of his Xerox Engineering Research Fellowship.
- Jordan Floyd, an electrical and computer engineering major, uses Java and Android Studio to help create an interactive healthcare app.
- Gregory Hernandez, an audio and music engineering major, worked with Mark Bocko on designing flat-panel speakers for his Xerox Engineering Research Fellowship.
- Beauclaire Mbanya is a chemical engineering major working on liquid metal batteries to help address the problem of energy storage in solar grids.