About the Hajim School
The Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is one of the nation’s top engineering schools housed in a first-rate research university. Learning from and working alongside award-winning faculty, our students use state-of-the-art technology and facilities to support their unique and self-driven education.
The Hajim School comprises a variety of programs, departments, and institutes, including:
- Audio and music engineering
- Biomedical engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Computer science
- Electrical and computer engineering
- Institute of Optics
- Mechanical engineering
- Laboratory for Laser Energetics
From alternative energy to technical entrepreneurship, we continually expand our program offerings to reflect current and future opportunities for research, development, and application. Most recently, the Hajim School and the University are at the forefront of data science education with the Institute for Data Science, a $100-million project currently underway.
Enrollment also continues to increase at the Hajim School. We have doubled our number of undergraduate students since 2008. Our students conduct undergraduate research, study abroad, pursue multidisciplinary majors, and streamline their paths to graduate schools and careers. Meanwhile, our graduate programs are nationally ranked and recognized by U.S. News and World Report and the American Society for Engineering Education.
In short, the Hajim School’s students, alumni, faculty, staff, and supporters work together to make the world ever better.
Timeline of Engineering at Rochester
1908—The University of Rochester offers its first courses in applied science (engineering), with an emphasis on mechanical engineering.
1915—First chemical engineering courses offered.
1929—The Institute of Applied Optics is established.
1930—Men’s classes move from Prince Street to the River Campus. Chemical and mechanical engineering occupy a new three-floor Engineering Building (later renamed Gavett Hall). The Institute of Optics occupies the fourth floor of the Bausch and Lomb building.
1956—Electrical engineering, previously offered in 1947, then dropped in 1950, is permanently resurrected.
1958—Engineering becomes a separate College of Engineering and Applied Science, with three departments: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering.
1961—The Institute of Optics is absorbed into the College of Engineering.
1962—Cornerstone set for Hopeman Hall, the new home for mechanical and electrical engineering.
1970—Laboratory for Laser Energetics (LLE) is established.
1976—Institute of Optics will move from the Bausch and Lomb Building to the Space Science Center (later renamed Wilmot Hall).
1976—Groundbreaking for new LLE facility to house the OMEGA laser.
1987—New Computer Studies Building includes offices and labs for electrical engineering.
1995—Colleges of Engineering and of Arts and Science are combined. The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences becomes part of the resultant College, which is later designated Arts, Sciences and Engineering.
1998—Department of Electrical Engineering renamed Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
2000—Department of Biomedical Engineering is established.
2007—Robert B. Goergen Hall for Biomedical Engineering and Optics opens.
2008—Edmund Hajim bequeaths $30 million, the largest gift in the University’s history, to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
2009—School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is named after Edmund Hajim. The Department of Computer Science becomes part of the Hajim School.
2016 — Wendi Heinzelman becomes the first woman to serve as Dean of the Hajim School.
University of Rochester's Deans of Engineering
John W. Graham Jr. 1959 to 1966
Robert G. Loewy 1967 to 1974
Brian J. Thompson 1975 to 1984
Bruce W. Arden 1986 to 1994
Duncan T. Moore 1995 to 1997
Kevin J. Parker 1998 to 2008
Robert L. Clark 2008-2016
Wendi Heinzelman 2016 - present