Senior Staff Accountant
Full-Time 40 hours
Work in conjunction with the BME Finance Team, perform accounting and administrative activities for engineering department maintaining accurate financial records and research academic programs. With latitude for independent decision making, the Sr. Accountant leads efforts for database creation, data management, and analysis in support of the Biomedical Engineering initiatives. This position is expected to act with a high-level of independence and should, in an ongoing way, review program financial systems and take initiative to improve it.
Accounting/Analyst Description (55% of Effort)
• Support of accounting activities for Biomedical Engineering department.
• Within department guidelines but with latitude for independent judgment and self-directed action, maintains complete and systematic set of records of department financial transactions.
• Maintains a financial database using URGEMS encumbrance accounting system to manage finances, along with UR Financials.
• Scan back up information to P Card system for bank approval.
• Enters encumbrances and transactions into UofR’s accounting system, reconciles monthly accounting statements and summary reports to administrator.
• Work in conjunction with Finance Team in forecasting account for the Dean’s Office.
• Computes and compiles periodic financial reports such as forecasts, budget variances, and project expenditures.
• Work in conjunction with Finance Team in project close-out by working with Office of Research Accounting and Costing Standards (ORACS) representatives.
• Manages the financial responsibilities for multi-year awards.
Grant Support (20% of Effort)
• Assist the Sr. Research and Grants Administrator with pre-award initiative in the IORA system.
• To learn and be CLASP-certified in the IORA system
• Prepare financial budgets for pre-award proposals.
• Assist faculty in gathering pre-award documents.
• Assist in contacting other departments to get other faculty efforts added to the grants
• Prepare PI approval forms for ledgers, along with assisting with issuance of subcontracts and no cost extensions.
• Work in conjunction with Finance Team to analyze and monitor 130 monthly ledgers (operating, sponsored programs, gifts, endowments, start - up) and reconcile charges with URGEMS.
Purchasing and Finance Administration (20% of Effort)
• Assist research lab in purchasing lab supplies, and both capital and non-capital equipment.
• Collaborate with faculty and lab personnel to determine financial accounts and spend codes, to ensure accurate accounting processes are being administered.
• Analyze account purchases and advise faculty on purchases and account status; devise methods of reporting to faculty, with demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting policies and procedures prepare appropriate purchasing documents for purchases.
Other duties as assigned (5% of Effort)
• Provide support to Space and Equipment Administrator as needed.
• Create various financial reports, using statistical analysis.
Bachelor's degree with three years of experience in financial management or a background in statistical and/or quantitative analysis and research techniques. Experience with data base tools desired. Advanced Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word skills preferred. Experience with UR Financials, IORA and URGems is preferred. Must be CLASP certified (or must be obtained in a reasonable amount of time of assuming role), Ability to work collaboratively with others, handle multiple priorities and assignments, keep organized records, make decisions and function independently and work well within sometimes limited time constraints to meet deadlines.