There are multiple resources available to our undergraduate students. Below is information on:
For any questions please contact the undergraduate program coordinator.
There are many scholarship and grant opportunities that are geared towards optics students, including:
- Charles and Janet Forbes Entrepreneurial Competition
- Discover Grant for Undergraduate Summer Research
- Fellowship opportunities
- Goldstein Grant
- Grand Challenges Scholarship Program
- Handler Scholarship
- Lockheed Martin STEM Scholarship
- McNair program
- OSA Scholarships
- Research and Innovation grants
- SMART Scholarship
If you would like to conduct research with an optics professor we recommend:
- Exploring the current research faculty are conducting
- Reviewing the faculty websites that interests you and start learning about that topic on your own
- Contact the professor to talk about their research
- Let the professor know you’re interest in working for them in their lab
Contacting a professor does not guarantee a research position.
The University of Rochester has multiple resources for students who have or know someone who is going through a mental health crisis.
University Counseling Center (UCC)
All full-time students can take advantage of UCC’s services, including individual and group therapy, medication management, 24-hour crisis services, consultations, and educational presentations. Sessions with UCC counselors are free and strictly confidential.
See the UCC website for more information.
The CARE Network is a resource to aid University of Rochester students in distress. This system allows Rochester faculty, staff, students, and affiliates to confidentially express concern for a student and get them connected to appropriate campus resources.
Students are often the first to know when one of their friends, roommates, or peers is significantly struggling. For this reason, Rochester students are likely to be the most helpful in getting another student connected to campus resources through the CARE Network.
For more information, contact CAREnetwork@rochester.edu.