Photon Camp: June 27 – July 1, 2022
The Photon Camp is a free, one-week program where rising high school juniors and seniors can explore the growing field of optics and optical engineering. Students spend the week attending faculty lectures, visiting local optics industry sites, and working in the Institute of Optics laboratories. Photon Camp is geared towards rising juniors and seniors with a strong background in math and physics. As the level of instruction at Photon Camp is higher than the typical high school classroom, exceptions will not be made to this policy.
“Photon Camp was an excellent opportunity to gain firsthand college experience. There’s more to optics than most people realize!”
—Danielle, Photon Camp alum
Note: Photon Camp is geared toward local area students. Housing is not provided.
The students will present capstone projects that were developed during Photon Camp. Parents, friends, teachers, etc., are invited and encouraged to attend this event. Past capstone projects have included:
- Thermal Imaging
- Optical Communication
- Digital versus Analog Imaging
- Solar Energy
- Cell phone Camera versus Digital SLR
Past Lab Experiments and Demos
- HeNe, CO2, and Nd:YAG Lasers
- Fiber Splicing
- Pinhole Camera
- H-alpha Telescope
The Application Process
Space is limited and admissions are "rolling" (camp slots will be filled as qualified applicants apply).
- Review How to attend Photon Camp [pdf]
- Complete the downloadable application [pdf]
- Create a personal statement of approximately 300 words or less describing your interests and future ambitions
- Ask a teacher for a letter of recommendation (math or science teacher preferred)
- Order your transcript from your school
- Submit the following documents to Dustin Newman:
- Permissions form (included in application)
- Personal statement
- Letter of recommendation
Documents may be submitted electronically or by mail. Submit documents electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or via U.S. mail to:
The Institute of Optics
University of Rochester
PO Box 270186
Rochester, NY 14627
Note: If submitting an application via email, please do not submit photos of the documents. They must be submitted in PDF format. Non-PDF applications or illegible PDF submissions will not be considered.
Completed applications are due by 5 p.m. on May 20, 2022.